Design work for Wallhanging

Playing around with paper and paint for my proposed wall hanging which will comprise 9 sections.  Each section will represent a change or reinvention relating to the location that my wallhanging is based on.

Castle

This first section represents the castle that once stood nearby the location.

This is on cartridge paper with a walnut ink/old silk paint spray wash, crayon and pastel stencilling, with coloured nappy liner and fleece heat shrunk. This could have been more effective by using either an acrylic paint and gel mix for the stencilling (this was done on my other panels). Or by burning or tearing the shapes out of parcel paper.

Manor House

Chose this motif to represent the stage of the location from castle to manor house. The dragon motif is heraldic and I thought it symbolic.

This section is a background of walnut ink and old silk paint sprayed and wiped. Over the top I used a stencil to provide a mask as I smeared over a mixture of raw umber and gold acrylic paint which was mixed with medium weight gloss texture gel. I decided to spread it on nice and thickly with an old credit card to provide some texture and to hint at the carving from which the motif was inspired by.

Country House

I chose a rabbit motif from my source material – symbolising the country house history of the location.  My Grandfather, who grew up locally could remember, as a boy, following the local hunt on his bicycle, this would have been just after World War I.

I used the same materials for the Manor section but this time used the stencil cut out as my mask.

Hospital

This was based on some more of the carving on the location, the theme reflected the use of the main house as a hospital during World War I.

This is the next design section, it comprises of layers of paper: walnut ink on cartridge, ruched parcel paper and pleated tissue paper. I then burnt the edges with a joss stick.

Spitfire

The motif was inspired by a floral carving from some of the panelling in the house of the client. Here it reminds me off the propeller of the Spitfire plane. This was designed by Vickers during World War II, the company was located at the current location.

Modelling paste and acrylic paint stamped off with a homemade stamp. The stamp was made from card, string and glue.

Garden

My favourite place at the location is the Japanese Sunken Garden. In late summer, early autumn it is at its best with the leaves of the Japanese maples turning to scarlet, orange and yellow.

Walnut ink with acrylic, modelling paste stamped over. Would be happier with a maple lead design which I will look at a bit more with my sampling.

Hardware

Acrylic paint, printed with a heat embossed  block.   I take the block – heating it up over my toaster and then press it into all kinds of things which leave an indentation to print with. I have used treadplate flooring, wire, keys, wooden carving, plastic flowers and, in this example, an old motherboard.

Software

This is a series of leaves overlaid a walnut ink and silk paint background. The leaves and acorns were cut out from handmade paper which had been over stamped in a binary number pattern using walnut ink. Further details were added with a paint brush dipped in walnut ink.

Services

Putting components together.

Walnut ink sprayed over simple stencils onto handmade paper. These were torn out and stuck to cartridge paper. Then embellished with hazel twigs and wove in some copper wire.

Advertisements